Marketing can seem overwhelming, especially for small business owners and individuals juggling many tasks and responsibilities. With so many outlets and so much information, it’s often hard to know where to start. First, it’s important to realize that a strong marketing campaign will take time. Start with small steps and build from there.
Also, over the past decade there has been a shift in the marketing paradigm from a one-way dictation (traditional media) to a two-way engagement format. What does this mean? In the past, marketers would throw out information to the public and hope it resonated with someone. Now, with the development of social media and inbound marketing channels of communication (i.e., blogging, podcasts, eBooks, and SEO for starters), customers can give businesses immediate feedback in a variety of ways. This new way of marketing and collecting market research then means an entirely new way to manage your company’s (and your) public image.
With this in mind, here are some tips and tricks to get you started with effectively marketing your business:
- Research: Know your business, know your industry, and know your customer. This will help you create a stronger marketing strategy and better messaging.
- Make Sure Your Messaging Is Consistent Across All Channels: This will make it easier for people to recognize your brand and applies to your social media, website, blog, business cards, etc. And don’t forget your head shots (Consistency here helps people recognize you quickly and easily.), your logo (Repeat and feature it everywhere you can!), and the colors in your logo and on your website. This strategy will help strengthen your brand and guide new clients – or readers, if you have a blog – your way.
- Use A Call-To-Action (CTA): Always include a clear CTA on your social media posts, blogs, emails, etc. Not sure what a CTA is? Here are a few examples – “Attend Our Event”, “Make An Appointment”, “Browse Our Website”, “Read My Blog Post”, and “Comment (or Like) If You Agree”. (Facebook Business Pages also feature a CTA button. Make sure to use it to direct your customers where you’d like them to go, whether it’s to your website, blog, or another destination.)
- Get Employees To Share Your Content: Social media is a big job. Involve your employees in the creation/sharing of social media content. This will help you reach a much broader audience.
- Use Buddy Marketing To Promote Your Business: For example, share another businesses’ upcoming event and they, in return, might share yours. This will allow you to reach an entirely new pool of potential customers.
For even more from Elizabeth, click over to MintLeafMedia.com.
About Elizabeth Stone, MBA
Elizabeth is an Entrepreneur in Rhode Island. She is the President and Founder of Mint Leaf Media, Baby Got Booth and her latest project Coral Reef Eco Series. She is an experienced marketer and online analyst with a background in psychology and behavioral therapy. Mint Leaf Media’s mission is to help small businesses and individuals tell their unique story and build relationships by maximizing the power of digital and social media.