At Mint Leaf Media, our mission is to help others tell their unique stories by maximizing the power of digital and social media. So, as one can imagine, our team was more than excited to work with the legendary Timothy Mellon to help publish his all-new memoir—“panam.captain”— as an eBook.
Mellon, a member of the Mellon family empire, is recognized worldwide as the chairman and owner of Pan Am Systems. He is without question a distinguished business leader, but there is a unique story of Mellon’s life that, until now, has remained concealed.
In Mint Leaf Media’s largest project of 2015, we helped Mellon make public his complete life story—every word written by him. The memoir divulges coveted details of Mellon’s life, offering an exclusive look into the strategy and innovation behind the man who transformed the rail and airline industries.
Challenges and Rewards
Mint Leaf Media was brought in by Mellon to take his written word and publish it online as a downloadable eBook. Additionally, Mellon wanted all of the book’s proceeds to go to three designated charities: Hillsdale College, The Landmark Legal Foundation, and the Pan Am Historical Foundation. A minimum donation to one of these charities would be required to access the book.
This was certainly one of Mint Leaf Media’s greatest accomplishments of 2015. The scope of the project was unlike anything our team had done before which, in my opinion, was all the more reason to embrace it. As a marketing partner dedicated to doing whatever it takes to achieve our clients’ goals, we were ready to venture into this unexplored territory.
The behind-the-scenes work was challenging yet rewarding. Here’s a snapshot of the core components of this exceptional project:
- Making Mellon Digital: Our team was responsible for successfully translating Mellon’s written words into a digital format. We handled everything from designing the book’s cover page to adding interactive elements to the book to ensure an optimal user experience. For example, we worked to make sure users could easily skip between sections of the eBook with the click of a button and that they could zoom in on pictures if desired. Additionally, we had to guarantee that the book’s design and format would be compatible with any Internet-connected device (i.e. laptop, tablet, smartphone).
- Creating Mellon’s Brand: In addition to creating the eBook, our team was tasked with building an effective and sustainable brand for Mellon. From conceptualizing logos to creating business cards, we were entrusted with building a public persona, in relation to the publication, that would resonate with Mellon’s target audience.
- Building the Website: Perhaps most challenging was building an easily navigable website from the ground up. The website needed to allow visitors to learn more about Mellon, peruse a photo gallery of images featured in the book and, of course, purchase the eBook. This was especially tricky, as we had to build the site in such a way that it enabled visitors to make their donations, as well as have those funds be seamlessly processed and tax compliant. As such, our team had to establish seamless integration with third-party platforms to ensure a complete, user-friendly Web experience. For example, we integrated the site with online email marketing solution MailChimp in order to send automatic “thank you” notifications to donors. We also integrated with multiple payment platforms, like PayPal and Authorize.net, to ensure a flexible payment process. Lastly, we had to set up a tax tracking system in order for us, as well as each nonprofit, to effectively monitor donations.
In his memoir, Mellon encourages readers to be firm in their beliefs, to constantly pursue the next great adventure and to be refined—not defined—by life’s challenges. In these ways, our challenging yet rewarding work on this project exemplifies the spirit of Mellon himself.
This was an incredible project to work on, and I am honored to have been a part of it. I encourage you to click here to download the eBook and support one of these three great charities.
A special thanks to our partners Blacknight Studios, MBA Team and Telemachus Press.
Marketing can seem overwhelming, especially for small business owners and individuals juggling many tasks and responsibilities. With so many outlets and so much information, it’s often hard to know where to start. First, it’s important to realize that a strong marketing campaign will take time. Start with small steps and build from there.
Also, over the past decade there has been a shift in the marketing paradigm from a one-way dictation (traditional media) to a two-way engagement format. What does this mean? In the past, marketers would throw out information to the public and hope it resonated with someone. Now, with the development of social media and inbound marketing channels of communication (i.e., blogging, podcasts, eBooks, and SEO for starters), customers can give businesses immediate feedback in a variety of ways. This new way of marketing and collecting market research then means an entirely new way to manage your company’s (and your) public image.
With this in mind, here are some tips and tricks to get you started with effectively marketing your business:
- Research: Know your business, know your industry, and know your customer. This will help you create a stronger marketing strategy and better messaging.
- Make Sure Your Messaging Is Consistent Across All Channels: This will make it easier for people to recognize your brand and applies to your social media, website, blog, business cards, etc. And don’t forget your head shots (Consistency here helps people recognize you quickly and easily.), your logo (Repeat and feature it everywhere you can!), and the colors in your logo and on your website. This strategy will help strengthen your brand and guide new clients – or readers, if you have a blog – your way.
- Use A Call-To-Action (CTA): Always include a clear CTA on your social media posts, blogs, emails, etc. Not sure what a CTA is? Here are a few examples – “Attend Our Event”, “Make An Appointment”, “Browse Our Website”, “Read My Blog Post”, and “Comment (or Like) If You Agree”. (Facebook Business Pages also feature a CTA button. Make sure to use it to direct your customers where you’d like them to go, whether it’s to your website, blog, or another destination.)
- Get Employees To Share Your Content: Social media is a big job. Involve your employees in the creation/sharing of social media content. This will help you reach a much broader audience.
- Use Buddy Marketing To Promote Your Business: For example, share another businesses’ upcoming event and they, in return, might share yours. This will allow you to reach an entirely new pool of potential customers.
For even more from Elizabeth, click over to MintLeafMedia.com.
About Elizabeth Stone, MBA
Elizabeth is an Entrepreneur in Rhode Island. She is the President and Founder of Mint Leaf Media, Baby Got Booth and her latest project Coral Reef Eco Series. She is an experienced marketer and online analyst with a background in psychology and behavioral therapy. Mint Leaf Media’s mission is to help small businesses and individuals tell their unique story and build relationships by maximizing the power of digital and social media.
WELCOME to our first of many blog post. Although we meant to start blogging sooner, as many small business owners know, life gets busy and all of a sudden you realize months have slipped by. So here is our first long over due blog post.
Who we are?
Stephen and I (Elizabeth) started Mint Leaf Media in 2014 with the goal of helping individuals and small businesses tell their unique stories. We all have a story to tell, but sometimes that story gets lost along the way. With the rapid growth of social media, new ways of marketing have developed. In a sense it has brought a new light to online marketing. There are many opportunities to get our story out there but many small businesses don’t have the time and money to research and learn all of the different online marketing techniques. That’s where we come into play. We want to help you bridge that gap by providing easy, efficient tips to tell your unique story. Before I get into what we will be blogging about let me tell you a little about Stephen and myself.
I am the President of Mint Leaf Media. My passion for helping individuals started at a young age and took me into a psychology and behavioral therapy direction for many years. After gaining experience working in the mental health field I decided to return to school for my MBA. I wanted to bring all of my passion and enthusiasm for helping people into a new field. I have since used everything I have learned to help people identify, conceptualize and execute creative ways to produce content that tells their story.
Another passion of mine is health and wellness, which you will see throughout future blog posts. In my spare time, I greatly enjoy yoga, running, cooking, and leading a health conscious lifestyle. Health and wellness is such an important part in helping us grow as individuals, families and businesses yet it seems that it is easily overlooked. It’s all about finding that ideal balance to be the healthiest and happiest you can be.
Stephen is a co-founder of Mint Leaf Media. He is currently studying business management at Johnson & Wales University. He works as an administrator for Mint Leaf Media as well as an assistant wrestling coach and mentor for East Greenwich High School and Mayo Quanchi. He shares my passion for health and wellness. He has received academic all-American in wrestling this past year which is an award given to students who exhibit academic excellence and place top 6 in regionals. Stephen, like myself, realized that times needs to be taken for mental self maintenance. He began woodworking in highschool and quickly became proficient at the art. He uses trees from his backyard to beautiful live edge furniture. Finding time to relax and think away from a screen is an important part of staying healthy, but it seems like when life gets busy, its the first thing to go.
What we will write about?
As we continue to grow we will be share some of our expertise with you. We will be giving marketing and social media tips for individuals and small businesses as well as health and wellness information that will save you time and engage your community. We will also share health and wellness tips, recipes, and events. We believe that a healthy lifestyle can improve your life experience and give you the energy and motivation to grow your business as it has for us.
We will both be posting around once a week on here. To get more marketing and wellness tips, please follow us on instagram and facebook. If you have any questions, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth and Stephen